If you listened to the latest episode, you heard guest Abby Denson read her “Top Ten Divas of Schlock” list on the show. You probably also heard us mention that the list would be posted on the website. Well, as promised, Abby has written out her list for us, and also delivered a cool picture! Thanks, Abby! -The Editor (a.k.a. Marc)
In honor of Women’s History Month, I’ve put together a Top Ten Divas of Schlock list! These are some of my favorite strong (yet feminine) characters from films covered so far on the Schlock Treatment podcast.
10. The Misfits (from Jem) – their songs ARE better!
9. Meg Foster, who in all of her roles (including Masters of the Universe, They Live, and Leviathan) has shown us all the power of having terrifying eyes!
8. Marjoe Gortner in Starcrash… Whoops! I meant Caroline Munro.
Who says Han Solo couldn’t be a lady?
6. Mariangela Melato as General Kala in Flash Gordon. Her costumes, brainwashing, and torture techniques are classic camp!
5. Sarah Douglas, who was gorgeous and tough as Queen Taramis in Conan the Destroyer, AND she had the best outfits! Love her!
4. Mary Woronov, whose role of Principal Togar in Rock ‘n’ Roll High School inspired disciplinarians everywhere!
3. Lair of the White Worm’s Amanda Donohoe made being an ancient lady snake vampire seem so glamorous! Also, she had an awesome house and fantastic outfits.
2. In Conan the Destroyer, Grace Jones taught us all, that in matters of romance it is best to “Grab him, and take him!”
1. Sandahl Bergman, whose role in She kicked off all of the Schlock Treatment fun to begin with! And let’s not forget her roles in Conan the Barbarian, Hell Comes to Frogtown, and Red Sonja too.
In the Honorable Mention category we have:
The icy cool Dr. Mengers in Piranha (only she pronounces it “piranya”) played by screen legend Barbara Steele!
And Boy George (you don’t necessarily have to be a woman to be a diva) who starred as his fabulous self in The A-Team episode “Cowboy George”!
Feel free to add your favorites in the comments section!